Saturday, February 2, 2013

Day 21 - Seek God

Today's Scripture: Isaiah 26:1-11

Today's Devotional: Choose by faith to not put your faith in the "what ifs", but put your faith in God and God alone. This will help you break free from the bondage of toxic fears.

Response by: Chad Schuchmann
Put faith in God...often this seems easier said than done.  I've found that I can easily pay lip service to the greatness of God, to my faith in God, to my desire to trust God.  Unfortunately, my desire does not always result in actual trust, actual faith and real actions.  I've found myself, probably more often than I would like to admit, realizing that I've got more what ifs in my life than I do areas where I am putting my faith in God and God alone.

Luke 5:16 says that, "Jesus often withdrew to lonely places to pray."  Today's scripture tells us the author desires God with his soul and that:
"With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early:" ~Isaiah 26:9 (KJV)
What I do find, is that when I prioritize prayer, when I set time aside, the what ifs begin to fade out of my life.  My questions turn into trust, my fears turn to faith.  There is something about resting in God's presence through prayer and time with God that truly brings us the "peace that passeth all understanding." ~Philippians 4:7 (KJV).

Jesus prioritized prayer above all else.  If even the Son of God, who was God himself, prioritized his connection to God and sought out time with God through prayer and times alone.  Maybe these are things we need to do as well.
But even there, if you seek God, your God, you’ll be able to find him if you’re serious, looking for him with your whole heart and soul. When troubles come and all these awful things happen to you, in future days you will come back to God, your God, and listen obediently to what he says. God, your God, is above all a compassionate God. In the end he will not abandon you, he won’t bring you to ruin, he won’t forget the covenant with your ancestors which he swore to them. ~ Deuteronomy 4:29-31 (MSG)

Something to talk about: In what ways are you seeking God on a regular basis?

No comments:

Post a Comment