Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 25 - Filter

Today's Scripture: 1 Corinthians 6:12-14 & 2 Corinthians 6:17-18

Today's Devotional: It's very easy to get trapped by cultural toxins because it's easy to rationalize them in our head. Most of us have probably had the following thought: what may be dangerous for you may not be dangerous for me. God's Word says something different. Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 6 that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.



Response by: Morgan Coil

The standards I use to filter out my cultural toxins are my values. When faced with a cultural toxin such as a bad word, bad music, or bad behavior I try and reference back to my values... Do I value this "toxin" more than what matters to me the most? When I have my values in check, it's much easier to say no and fight these cultural toxins. What helps even more is to physically write out what you value so they're easy to reference to.

As far as my standards matching God's, I obviously am his imperfect child so my system of filtering is not always in it's prime condition. But the neat thing about the system of filtering I try to follow is that it's another reason to have a deep connection with The Lord. Taking the time to just pray and find your values within your inner self is powerful!

Something to talk about: What standards are you using to filter out cultural toxins in your life? How well do you think your standards match God's?

No comments:

Post a Comment